Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Living Off Memories

“Goodbye” is such a simple word. For a word so simple, it has many meanings. Sometimes, there is excitement for the next time you’ll see someone behind these words. Other times, there is a sense of relief for finally being done. Or, as in my case, there is the sorrow of knowing you may never see someone’s face again.

Before coming to Cambodia, life carried on the only way I knew it. Now, I can’t imagine life without the second family I have made on the other side of the world. Life without daily hugs from my sisters Srey Pich and Srey Mey, or daily tickle fights with my brother Niroon, is unimaginable now that I’ve had the pleasure of meeting so many beautiful children.

In Nicaragua, I ended my final blog by saying I had left half my heart with the children at Escuela Especial. I now know that there is always more of your heart to give, just as there is always more to learn. As much as I wish I could take my second family back to the nature-filled mountains of Vail, I know such things are impossible. So from here on out, I will live off of the memories these children have given me. I will look back on the time we danced in the rain, when the children first welcomed us to the orphanage, and even the tears that we shed when saying goodbye, and I will smile. I will smile because it happened, and that is something to be grateful for.

1 comment: